21 November 2009

Nankeen Kestrel at Barden's

Last October I got the email below.

Rockies
Blue Mountains local Mitch Warren reports that there is a pair of Nanking Kestrels nesting in the cave three-quarter way up the above route. Anyone who has climbed this route will have seen the guano and bones littering the hole, which seems to have been abandoned in recent years.
It is probably best to stay off the route until nesting season has ended (mid to late summer?).
Regards

Niall Doherty

SRC President

Then I went Track Care this month.





























= = = Jolley Good Fellow = = =

After the volunteer work I climbed Jolley Good Fellow which was the closest route to the nesting cave other than Hermione. I guess it's less than 3m away from the nest.
When I was at DRB I noticed one of the Nankeen Kestrels couple flew away. The falcon stayed at the most right of the wall (pic) which was above Hang on to Yourself and Lady Grinning Soul. The other was flying around, came back (pic) and forth to the nest many times. Later I feel sorry to them when i thought that if the latter was female which supposed to incubate eggs, though I was not close enough to see their nest nor eggs.
So I will stay away even from Jolley Good Fellow for a while to be a good jolley fellow to them. If you are a sport person, the warm up route would be Little Trigers (19) instead. Or Kooks (16) which is fully bolted except bottom 3m which is fairly easy.

No comments: